Summertime is the perfect time to create outdoor living spaces. For Jamie, our Marketing Director, this meant a deck makeover that was recently featured on More Good Day Oregon.
When approaching your outdoor spaces (or any space!), here are 5 steps to help you have a successful transformation!
- Determine the objective of the space – Whenever you are re-doing a space, it is important to not get ahead of yourself. Take time to think about how you will use the space and what you are trying to accomplish. Purpose the space BEFORE making changes will save you time – and money – in the long run.
In Jamie’s case, she had a large outdoor deck space that was a great, underutilized asset for her home. She had created a potting station that wasn’t working well and was ready to clear out the space and start fresh.
When Jamie looked out at this currently dirty and unused space she saw the possibility for an alternate work space and a wonderful spot for summer entertaining. Once this vision was created, Jamie was ready to start clearing out and preparing for her deck makeover!
- Evaluate the current infrastructure in the space – once your vision for the space has been created, it’s time to take an inventory of the current state of the space. What should stay and what should go? What are the “bones” of the space? What can be re-done or refreshed?
Jamie’s deck had a lot of wood that needed powerwashing & staining. She also had a lot of stuff that needed to go. So, Jamie and her husband got busy clearing out and cleaning the space.
- Make a Punch List To DO & To Acquire – Now that your space is cleared out and ready to go, make a list of what needs to be done and what is needed to fill the space. Think about where you want to keep the ideas and information for your project – perhaps a small binder or a folder depending on the paper systems you use in your home. Here you can keep your “to do” list, your “to acquire” list, along with your budget and any inspirational pieces such as fabric swatches, magazine clippings, or color palettes. Some people choose to do this all electronically. Whatever works for you, create a place to capture the information to keep your project material organized.
- Ingather assets –This is the fun part! AFTER you have purposed your space and created a plan, THEN you can begin acquiring things. If you don’t have a big budget, look at what you already have! Shop your home for items that can be repurposed. Sometimes it’s helpful to get an outside perspective at this step. If you have a visionary friend, have them come look around your space (and the rest of your home!) and be creative about moving around the items you have. Sometimes simply rearranging what you already have is enough to create a fresh, beautiful, and more useful space!
In Jamie’s space, she was able to commandeer in-house resources with some furniture handed-down by family and curtains that she already had. One really fun part of this deck makeover was the transformation of small cubby shelves into a BBQ station. By thinking outside the box and turning the cubbies on their sides, a perfect place for storing BBQ items was created.
Jamie then purchased the remaining items for the space. She shopped at consignment stores for some really great finds!
- Assemble intentionally – when putting together your new space consider these tips:
- Fill dark corners – brigten dark spaces with lamps or greenery so they aren’t just unused spaces
- Mix materials to break up space – this deck had a lot of wood, so we chose a mix of different materials (plastic, metal, resin, upholstry) to add beauty and dimension to the space
- Create a showcase area or focal point for the space – Jamie used curtains to frame a window and create a beautiful focal point where guests can sit and look out over the lawn
- Use wall space – this is an ignored area in many outdoor spaces! Use mirrors, art, and greenery to create an outdoor living room
As you can see in these beautiful after shots of Jamie’s deck makeover, following these 5 simple steps can truly transform a space.
To see the full transformation, watch the segment aired on More Good Day Oregon below.
- Get hands on help for your own makeover project. Learn more about our Consulting Services
- For more ideas on outside-the-box thinking around your home, read Vicki’s book Restoring Order To Your Home
- Visit our YouTube channel for more of Vicki’s organizing segments featured on More Good Day Oregon