Is your car your office, restaurant, and kid’s playroom? Are there ancient Cheerios stuck in your cushions? Does Rover’s slobber cover the windows? Is your garage looking pretty good now that most of its contents are in your car? If so, it may be time to organize your car for good.
Most of us today use our car not only as a mode of transportation, but also as a way to save time. We transport children, pets, sports equipment, camping supplies, and more.
Cramming our vehicle full of people and stuff, we race around from one activity to another. In between activities, we must eat and conduct personal and professional business. Our cars become littered with everything from food wrappers to files.
It’s not just racing between activities that creates backlog in our cars, it’s the fact that when we get home, we don’t have an ounce of energy left to clear out the contents.
Instead of arguing with the kids to help bring gear inside, or hauling in garbage in the rain, we just drag our spent selves inside and crash. In the morning, we jump back in our cars and a new day begins, promising new accumulation.
Here are 8 easy ways to organize your car and keep it that way:
1. Set a monthly appointment on your calendar to de-trash and deep clean your car. Monthly or quarterly, pamper your car with a wash and interior clean at a nearby car wash.
2. Carry handy wipes made especially for cars within reach so you can mop up messes and keep your vehicle pleasant.
3. Recruit all family members to be responsible for removing what they bring in to the car. If they leave it, they lose it. (Obviously, babies and small children must be assisted!)
4. Before you undertake another soccer game or wild weekend, force yourself to remove the gear from the last event.
5. Put one or two garbage cans or bags in your car to collect trash. Place a garbage bin in the garage or near the door you enter the home and throw away trash immediately from every ride.
6. Use over-the-seat organizers to keep maps, umbrellas, gloves, and other essentials at hand.
7. Consider crates, boxes, or cargo organizers to keep your trunk’s contents organized by type.
8. No matter how tired you are at the end of the night, bring in an armful of car clutter. You’ll be glad you did.
- Don’t miss a thing! Get our blog straight to your inbox by subscribing today
- For hands on help with getting organized, hire an order restorer
- Ready to reclaim your life? Take our online Life Reclaimist Series and take back your Household, Work, Health, and Spirit
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel for more organizing videos